- If you or someone else is involved in an accident, call 911. Provide the 911 dispatcher with the location of the emergency.
- If you can, take photos of the scene as soon as possible.
- Move all vehicles that were involved in the accident out of the roadway when and if it is safe and practical to do so.
- Exchange your name with the other drivers and passengers and make a note of how many people were involved in the accident.
- You are required to exchange insurance and driver’s license information with anyone that you are involved in a vehicle accident with. Regardless of who was at fault, both parties are entitled to the other driver’s information. The police response unit may gather the information, but you are still required to gather it as well.
- Contact your insurance company to let them know the details of the accident. They are acting as your agent so let them know the details of the accident.
- If the other driver was at fault in, be sure to initiate a claim with their insurance company and give them the details of the parties involved.
It’s important to know as much as can so that you can protect yourself.